Thank you for your interest in Prairie Hospice’s volunteer program. Volunteers are the heart of our program, and demand for service remains high.
The next Volunteer Training Session will be held in May/June 2020 as follows:
- Thursday, May 28, 2020: 5:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Thursday, June 4, 2020: 5:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Friday, June 5, 2020: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Location: to be announced
If you are interested in applying, please read the information under Direct Client Services Volunteers and Application Process below. There are several ways to complete and send us the Volunteer Application Form:
- Fill in your information directly in the PDF, then save the completed PDF document to your hard drive. Depending on the web browser and/or PDF plugin used, you may be able to fill in the PDF directly in your browser window and then download and save it to your computer, or you might have to download the document first and then open it in PDF viewing software on your computer before being able fill it in. Or,
- print the PDF and fill it in manually, or
- you may also call us at 306-249-5554 and we’ll send you a copy, or you can pick one up at our office at 716 Queen Street.
Get the completed application back to us:
- by sending the filled PDF by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- by dropping off a paper copy, either printed from the filled PDF, or a manually filled printed form, to our office. You may also mail it to:
Prairie Hospice Society Volunteer Training
716 Queen Street
Direct Client Services Volunteers
Our Client Service Volunteers offer non-medical, practical and emotional support to people who are living with a terminal illness. They visit with clients to provide companionship – reading, talking, writing letters, listening to life stories. They give caregivers a time of respite and support bereaved families. They assist with practical help in and out of clients’ homes, such as preparing light meals, running errands for clients or providing transportation for appointments and outings. All volunteer services are offered free of charge.
The comprehensive initial training program and ongoing in-service educational events prepare volunteers to visit clients and offer compassionate non-medical client- and family-centered care for these individuals and their families in the comfort of their homes. The comprehensive initial training consists of presentations, panel discussions, small group work, self-care, suggested readings, and videos to prepare you for the challenges you may face as a hospice volunteer.
|Your Commitment||Attend complete training program
Volunteer approximately four hours per week for a minimum of one year
Attend ongoing in-service training sessions
|What You Receive||Professional training
Guidance and support from the Volunteer Coordinator
Support from a community of like-minded people
This work requires integrity and sensitivity. We are committed to ensuring that all volunteers are fully screened and trained prior to working with clients. This will include an interview and reference checks.
When applying to join the Prairie Hospice volunteer team, please allow sufficient time for an interview to be scheduled and reference checks completed before being accepted into the next training.
Please prepare yourself by reading “Things To Consider When Applying to Be a Hospice Volunteer”.
A Criminal Record Check is required for all volunteers. No charge will be incurred at the Police Station, providing you bring an original signed letter from Prairie Hospice indicating that you are applying to volunteer. These letters can be picked up from our office at 716 Queen Street or requested by mail. If you have had a Criminal Record Check in the past year, a copy of this document will be accepted.
No prior experience in health care is necessary for any volunteer opportunity. Prairie Hospice understands that we all have the capacity for care and compassion. Please note, however, that volunteers must have a valid Driver’s License.
Prairie Hospice Volunteer Training Groups
Here are the volunteers we have trained to date. Additional people are always welcome!